Wednesday, June 8, 2016

diy embellished cardigan...again!


It worked out so well last time I embellished my own cardigan that I decided to give it another go.  But this time all my materials came from the thrift store.  Huzzah for frugality!  I visited on a day that all apparel was 50% off, so there's another financial bonus.  This ended up costing me a whopping $8, plus several hours of labor.


The cardigan is a wonderful mustard color, which I love.  The embroidered appliques came from an unbelievably fugly camisole thingy, with sequins and brown tulle and all kinds of dreadful things.  I cut out the embroidered bits as carefully as I could and trashed the rest.  

As with the last embellished cardigan project, I laid out the appliques and pinned them into place, then started sewing.  This time I used thread that matches the cardigan, so you can see the stitching if you look closely.  Again, I used an overcast stitch, and again, I worked slowly and carefully to avoid skewing the knit fabric.  Last time I did this, there were a total of six separate applique pieces.  This time there were 24.  So it took quite a bit longer.  But worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment