Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Easy-peasy thread-wrapped hoop earrings

These things are so cute!  I've been getting into a jewelry making phase recently.  Well, actually I've been in an everything-but-knitting phase recently, which is probably because of the nice spring weather.  So look forward to some new posts that have nothing to do with knitting.

Starting with these little darlings.  They were super quick to put together, and they're purdy durn adorable, are they not?


For this project you will need:
  • Some cheapo hoop earrings (I bought a set of three from Target for $5)
  • Embroidery floss in a color of your choice
  • Beads, 10
  • Jump rings, 10
  • Super glue
  • pliers 
  • sewing needle
  • scissors
I wrapped the hoops in embroidery floss using a friendship-bracelet-style knot wrapping technique.  The ends are super glued in place just to keep them from slipping or coming apart.  The knots are super tight and I made sure to cover every bit of the hoop so no silver peeks through.

I already had the beads and jump rings lying around in my craft supplies.  I can't remember what kind of stone the beads are, but they're a lovely mint green color in a tear drop shape that lends itself well to this type of dangle.  Once I had each bead on a jump ring, I held up the hoop to see where it would sit when worn and found the bottom-center spot.  I used a sewing needle to create a hole in the thread knot for the jump ring and inserted it through.  Then I counted three knots away and did it again, until I had two on each side of the center bead, for a total of five evenly spaced beads.


And there you go.  A nice dangly, simple yet unique jewelry piece that only took about 10 minutes to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment